B.Metzger:The Multi-Messenger Picture of a NS Merger

Astrophysical studies makes possible to use natural cosmic objects as unique particle laboratories. Effects of new physics in cosmic rays and electromagnetic radiation, in stars and galaxies, indirect effects of dark matter , in particular, are the subjects of this topic of Forum

Moderator: Maxim Khlopov

Forum rules
Only topics, specified in the description of this forum can be posted here. Other topics will be either removed or moved to an appropriate forum.

B.Metzger:The Multi-Messenger Picture of a NS Merger

New postby Maxim Khlopov on Fri 15 Dec 2017 17:06

VIA lecture by Brian Metzger "The Multi-Messenger Picture of a Neutron Star Merger" was given on 15.12.2017. It's presentation is attached and record of his talk is in VIA library:
http://viavca.in2p3.fr/brian_matzger.html
The following questions were put during teh talk:
Shantanu: No telescopes in China observed them before the ones in Chile?
Shantanu: One more question on observations. Have similar bursts with exactly similar spectral characteristics been observed before by Fermi-GBM?
Shantanu: Do any of these spectra contain any emission or absorption lines of gold?
Shantanu: so what's the smoking gun evidence of solar mass of gold been ejected as mentioned in some of the papers?
Houri Ziaeepour: Can the late X-ray come from KN rather than an off axis jet ? I mean the cocoon.
Shantanu: About a decade ago the HETE experiment detected X-ray flashes which (from what I remember) were supposed to be offo-axis GRBs. So why isn't this "GRB" an X-ray flash? or how is it different (in terms of gamma-ray sepctral properties) from X-ray flashes detected by HETE?
Houri Ziaeepour: Wait my simulations of the prompt emission !
Shantanu: I mean is it different in terms of gamma-ray observables as seen by HETE?
such as hardness, T90, fluence etc so the main difference is T90?
M.Khlopov: I'd like to note that the possible explanation for simultaneous GW and GRB signals was given in
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1710.05909.pdf

You are welcome to continue discussion of this exciting topic in replies to this post!
Attachments
VIA17.pdf
pdf of presentation by B.Metzger
(22.03 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
[i]Хлопов Максим Юрьевич
Maxim Khlopov[/i]
Maxim Khlopov
Administrateur du site

Return to ASTROPHYSICS