P.Kumar: Gamma-ray bursts in the Fermi era

Astrophysical studies makes possible to use natural cosmic objects as unique particle laboratories. Effects of new physics in cosmic rays and electromagnetic radiation, in stars and galaxies, indirect effects of dark matter , in particular, are the subjects of this topic of Forum

Moderator: Maxim Khlopov

Forum rules
Only topics, specified in the description of this forum can be posted here. Other topics will be either removed or moved to an appropriate forum.

P.Kumar: Gamma-ray bursts in the Fermi era

New postby Maxim Khlopov on Tue 6 Oct 2015 14:36

VIA lecture y Prof. Pawan Kumar "Gamma-ray bursts in the Fermi era" was given on 02.10.2015.
Its record is in VIA library
http://viavca.in2p3.fr/pawan_kumar.html
and the pdf of presentation is attached
The following comments and questions were put in discussion

Arunan: if grb burst is due to core collapse, why we are not seeing them near to us? why billion light years away?

M.Yu.Khlopov: Your mechanism has reminded me our early work on mechanisms of gamma ray emission at Supernova explosion:
M.Yu.Khlopov, V.M.Chechetkin and R.A.Eramzhyan. Gamma-Ray Emission during Supernova Outbursts. Astron. Zh. (1980), V. 58, PP. 343-349. [English translation: Sov. Astron. (1981) V. 25, P. 193].
By the way, a possibility to distinguish neutron star and black hole by gamm radiation was proposed in our paper: G.S. Bisnovatyi-Kogan, M.Yu.Khlopov, V.M.Chechetkin and V.A.Eramzhyan. Gamma-Ray Emission during Gas Accretion onto a Neutron Star. Astron. Zh. (1980), V. 57, PP. 1242-1248. [English translation: Sov. Astron. (1980) V. 24, P. 716]

You are welcome to continue discussion in replies to this post!
Attachments
Paris-Oct-2015.pdf
Presentation of the talk by P.Kumar
(5.85 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
[i]Хлопов Максим Юрьевич
Maxim Khlopov[/i]
Maxim Khlopov
Administrateur du site

Re: P.Kumar: Gamma-ray bursts in the Fermi era

New postby Shantanu on Sat 31 Oct 2015 14:45

Dear Pawan,
Thank you for a very nice talk. Sorry I missed it. Two questions
o Is it a concern that we have not detected GRBs at TeV energies (or is it consistent with the expected
event rates of GRBs and that we cannot see TeV emission from cosmological distances?)
o Are there any electromagnetic (serendipitous) observations of any GRB position (before they emitted bursts)
and have we detected any emission from this?
Thanks
Shantanu

Return to ASTROPHYSICS