S.McGaugh:Three Laws of Galactic Rotation

Astrophysical studies makes possible to use natural cosmic objects as unique particle laboratories. Effects of new physics in cosmic rays and electromagnetic radiation, in stars and galaxies, indirect effects of dark matter , in particular, are the subjects of this topic of Forum

Moderator: Maxim Khlopov

Forum rules
Only topics, specified in the description of this forum can be posted here. Other topics will be either removed or moved to an appropriate forum.

S.McGaugh:Three Laws of Galactic Rotation

New postby Maxim Khlopov on Fri 10 Apr 2015 17:40

VIA lecture by Stacy McGaugh "Three Laws of Galactic Rotation" was given on 10.04.2015.
The following questions and comments were put during it:
Shantanu: Just a comment on Maxim's question. Sergei Kopeikin's VIA talk discussed this issue and he has argued that you can find effects of cosmological expansion in laboratory based experiments(but his results are of course somewhat controversial).
Shantanu: on (2) is there a corresponding baryonic Faber-Jackson relation for elliptical galaxies(Ignore this if you will address it later).
Shantanu: Do we know of any galaxy, for which we have measured a falling or declining rotation curves (or is it flat for all possible radii) ?
Shantanu: Is the T-F relation also satisfied for our own galaxy?
Shantanu: Just as a clarification. I presume for all galaxies mass of central black hole is much less than that of stars and gas?
Shantanu: Just a comment. I think in the David Wiltshire's VIA talk he briefly alluded that his back reaction model could also explain this.
Shantanu: if you ask cosmologists what explains BTF their usual answer is "feedback". But does any feedback model explain both slope and normalization?
Shantanu: I think Alyson Brooks gave a talk at Perimeter where she claimed she can predict it, although I haven't see the results.
Shantanu: Is Renzo's rule also seen for elliptical galaxies?
Shantanu: can you briefly say something about whether these laws are satisfied for galaxies in galaxy clusters and galaxy groups? (or we don't have enough observational data)
Shantanu: Let me ask a data- question. Almost all the data you showed today makes use of spectroscopic data. However there are a lot of photometric surveys which are taking data or soon to start such as DES, HSC or LSST. Although these are primarily extra galactic surveys they will also do galactic astrophysics. Do you think these surveys can shed further light on the questions you talked about today?
Maxim Laletin: In 2009 R. Catena and P. Ullio presented a novel determination of the local dark matter density, which is, according to their work, assuming spherical symmetry and Einasto or NFW profile, is around 0.39 GeV/cm^3 plus-minus 7%. Is it really a novel and precise determination of dark matter density, is it more like a convention to use 0.39 GeV/cm^3 instead of ~ 0.3 GeV/cm^3 or is it a rather speculative result?
You are welcome to continue discussion in replies to this post!
Attachments
VIA_10April15cor.pdf
pdf of presentation
(6.95 MiB) Downloaded 182 times
[i]Хлопов Максим Юрьевич
Maxim Khlopov[/i]
Maxim Khlopov
Administrateur du site

Return to ASTROPHYSICS