Michael Nauenberg:History of mass limit of compact stars

Astrophysical studies makes possible to use natural cosmic objects as unique particle laboratories. Effects of new physics in cosmic rays and electromagnetic radiation, in stars and galaxies, indirect effects of dark matter , in particular, are the subjects of this topic of Forum

Moderator: Maxim Khlopov

Forum rules
Only topics, specified in the description of this forum can be posted here. Other topics will be either removed or moved to an appropriate forum.

Michael Nauenberg:History of mass limit of compact stars

New postby Maxim Khlopov on Sat 11 Oct 2014 22:03

VIA lecture by Michael Nauenberg "History of mass limit of compact stars" took place on 10.10.2014.
It's record and pdf file of presentation are in the VIA library:
http://viavca.in2p3.fr/Michael_Nauenberg.html
The following questions and comments were put during it and in Discussion:
Shantanu: when was this photo taken? approximate date?
Shantanu: by this time was it clear to everyone that in general relativity pressure gravitates (and was that reflected in these papers?) or they didn't consider any general relativity (at that time) ?
Shantanu: what is the dashed line in previous slide?
Shantanu: How did you first find out about Stoner's work?

Richard Weiner: The Chandrasekhar et al. limit played an important role in conforming the Pauli principle, which up to that point was seen in bound states only. The astrophysical result showed that it worked in scattering processes too. Recently this fact was used to suggest that the Pauli principle itself is a consequence of the fact that fermions are topologgical solitons, which also determines the quantum numbers of fermions.

Shantanu: Did Stoner publish anything more on this subject or give any talks?

Kouvaris: Did Stoner complain ?

Shantanu: Did Eddington refer to Stoner's work after the 1935 controversy?
[i]Хлопов Максим Юрьевич
Maxim Khlopov[/i]
Maxim Khlopov
Administrateur du site

Re: Michael Nauenberg:History of mass limit of compact stars

New postby Shantanu on Wed 29 Oct 2014 15:59

After the talk, I look at ADS (database of astrophysics papers used by astronomers) to find Stoner's papers and to my horror they were not even listed. So I have requested to ADS to add these and you can now find them.
http://tinyurl.com/p63e97q
Mike if there are more missing let me know.
Shantanu

Return to ASTROPHYSICS